Dr. Morkel Jacques Otto, M.D.
Specialist in Aesthetic Physician Cell Therapy (MyCell)
- 1981, Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (M.B., Ch.B.), University of Pretoria.
- 1986, Master of Family Doctor Practice (M Prax Med), University of Pretoria (South Africa).
- 1988, Master of Medical Pharmacology (M Pharm Med), University of Pretoria (South Africa).
- 2001, Master of Philosophy in Medical Law (M Phil), University of Glasgow (Scotland).
Certification and Licensure :
- 1984, Aviation Medicine Certificate: Medical Military Institure - South African Defence Force.
- 1988, Member of the Faculty of General Practice (M.F.G.P.), College of Medicine of South Africa.
- 1990, Diploma of the Faculty of Forensic Medicine (Dip For Med), College of Medicine of South Africa.
- 1992, Certificate in Medicine Registration (Regulatory): TechniPharm CC, South Africa.
- 2002, Diploma in Dentistry: Sedation and Pain Control (PDD), University of Stellenbosch, South Africa.
Work Experience :
- In 1988, he commenced general practice, including part-time appointment as plastic surgery assistant to Mr. Richard Stott (Plastic Surgeon, Johannesburg, South Africa)
- In 1990, Dr Otto was appointed Scientific Affairs Director of Abbott Laboratories, South Africa, where he gains valuable experience in pharmaceutical R&D. He was also responsible for several international (including FDA) and national clinical trials and during this time was involved in several new product marketing authorization approvals by the South African Medicine Control Agency.
- Dr Otto relocated to the UK in 1993, where his clinical practice has included an aesthesia and conscious sedation, and forensic medicine.
His main interests since 1999, have been research in new anti-ageing products, cosmetic products and cosmetic non-invasive medical device development, cosmetic & aesthetic minimally invasive techniques and autologous regenerative medicine.
Since 2000, he has specifically specialized in anti-ageing and cosmetic & aesthetic medicine. His appointments in the UK as Consultant/Adviser/Trainer in Cosmetic Medicine have included:
- Isolagen Europe Ltd.
- Cosmesis Ltd.
- UltraShape Inc. (Principal Investigator Phase II CE Mark Study).
- Aesthera Inc. (Photopneumatic Therapy PPx - UK Investigator).
- Mediform UK (Accent Radio-Frequency & Pixel Laser London Referral Centre)
- Alma Lasers UK (Referral Training Centre).
- ACR Laboratories (Autologous Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy)
- Dr Otto was appointed European Consultant to LM Global of China in December 2006 and has also been instrumental in setting up non-surgical aesthetic clinics in Limerick (Ireland - 2005) and Cape Town (South Africa - 2006).
- Dr Otto is an approved international trainer for Botox®, Dysport®, Isologen®, Aesthera®, Ultrashape® and regularly conducts training seminars for medical professionals at the The Cosmedicate Clinic in London. He is frequently requested to give lectures at cosmetological industry forums and conferences around the world. Technique of Dermal Rejuvenation and Volumetric Therapy utilizing Autologous Platelet Rich Plasma (A-PRP), this dermal injection technique utilizes a new preparation method of autologous platelet rich plasma (A-PRP) that is utilized as an autologous alternative for dermal volumetric regeneration and rejuvenation versus synthetic dermal or hypodermal augmentation products.
Clinical Experience Summary :
- 1982: Senior House Officer (South Africa).
- 1983: January to 1983 June: Mine Medical Officer: General Surgery & Orthopaedics (South Africa).
- 1983 July to 1985 June: Military Medical Officer (Lieutenant) South African Defence Force & Part-time Forensic Medical Examiner (Police Surgeon) (South Africa).
- 1985 July to 1987 September: Mine Medical Officer: General Surgery, Orthopaedics, Medicine, Anaesthesia & Family Practice (South Africa).
- 1987 October to 1988 September: Insurance Medical Advisor (South Africa).
- 1988 October to 1990 May: Principal Family Practitioner (GP), Part-time Insurance Advisor, Part-time Co-ordinator Cancer Registry of South Africa & Plastic Surgery Assistant (South Africa).
- 1990 June to 1993 January: Medical Director Abbott Laboratories (South Africa).
- 1990 December to 1992 December: District Surgeon – GP & Forensic Medical Examiner (South Africa).
- 1993 January to 1998 November: Day-case Dental General Anaesthesia (United Kingdom.)
- 1998 November to July 2005: Day-case Dental Conscious Sedation (United Kingdom).
- 2000 October to 2003 December: Police Surgeon (United Kingdom).
- 2000 June up to presently: Non-Surgical Cosmetic Medicine (United Kingdom).
Cosmetic Doctor Practice (Full Time) :
- 2004 March to 2005 June: Cosmedicate Clinic, No 1 – 7 Harley Street, London, United Kingdom.
- 2005 June to 2009 June: Cosmedicate Clinic, No 122 Harley Street, London, W1G 7JP, UK.
- 2009 July up to presently: Great Oak House, 104 Oak Road, Tiptree CO5 0NA.
Business Development :
- 2003 August: Consultant & Trainer to Aesthetica Clinic, Isolagen promotion in U.A.E. (Dubai).
- 2006 December up to presently: Consultant & Trainer, SMG (China).
- 2006 June up to presently: Director Neocell Laboratories (South Africa) – tissue engineering.
- 2009 May to May 2010: Director RegenTis Ltd (UK) – tissue engineering.
- 2009 December: Director RegenSciTech (Singapore) – tissue regeneration.
Training Courses & Publications :
Lecturing & Training Appointments:-
- 2002 October to 2004 September: Botox Trainer, OsteoCare (UK).
- 2003 January up to presently: Dysport Trainer, Ipsen (UK).
- 2003 September to 2004 September: Trainer, Collagenics International Ltd (UK).
- 2003 August up to presently: Trainer Cosmetic & Facial Aesthetics, Aesthetica Clinic (Dubai).
- 2003 August to 2005 June: Autologous Cultured Fibroblast Lecturer & Trainer, Isolagen (International).
- 2003 March to 2009 March: Lecturer & Advisor, Ultashape Inc. (International).
- 2005 June to 2007 June: Intense Pulsed Light Lecturer & Trainer, Aesthera Inc. (International).
- 2006 May up to 2008 May: Laser & Radio-frequency Lecturer & Trainer, Alma Lasers Inc. (International).
- 2006 April up to presently: Autologous Platelet-Rich Plasma Lecturer & Trainer, Scandinavian UST (International).
- 2009 August up to presently: Autologous Platelet-Rich Plasma Lecturer & Trainer, Skin MD (Far East).
- 2009 May up to presently: Hyacorp body augmentation Trainer, BioPolymer (International).
- 2003 to 2004: Principal Investigator CE Mark Ultrashape Clinical Efficacy Study: Mechanical Ultrasonic Selective Lipolysis for Body Contouring (UK).
Cosmetic Medicine Professional Development Training Courses:-
- 2000 October: Phlebology & Cosmetic Laser Therapy., (Laser Florence 2000, Italy).
- 2001 March: Restylane Dermal Filler., (Dr Rita Rakus, Knightsbridge, London, on behalf of Q-MED Aesthetics).
- 2001 June: Botox., (Mr Jaya Prakash, Plastic Surgeon, Harley Street, London).
- 2003 May: Isolagen., (Mr Peter Ahsbey, Harley Street, London, on behalf of Isolagen Europe Ltd).
- 2004 January: Micro-sclerotherapy., (Melbury School of Sclerotherapy, Dorset, UK).
- 2004 December: Radiesse., (London, UK).
- 2003 May to 2004 March: Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Dermatology., (Centre for Cutaneous Research, Barts and the Royal London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary, University of London).
- 2005 July: Aesthera PPx Broad band Light Dermal Phototherapy., (Aesthera Europe Ltd, London).
- 2005 May: Human Skin Anti-aging Biotechnology Fellowship: Human Autologous Fibroblast Culturing and Cell Expansion Techniques., (Prof DF Du Toit, Dept. Of Anatomy, University of Stellenbosch).
- 2006 March: Preparation and Dermal Cosmetic Applications of Autologous Platelet-rich Plasma., (Dr Kubota, Tokyo, Japan).
- 2006 May: Accent Radio-frequency., (A-B-C Ltd, UK).
- 2006 August: Harmony Laser System: Pixel 2940 nm ablative erbium laser, Pixel 1320 nm non-ablative Nd:Yag laser, Q-Switched 1064 nm and 532 nm KTP tattoo removal laser and 1064 nm Nd:Yag vascular laser., (A-B-C Ltd, UK).
- 2006 August: Soprano 810 nm hair removal diode laser., (A-B-C Ltd, UK).
- 2006 November HydraFill Softline dermal filler., (Allergan).
- 2007 October: Dermasweep micro-dermabrasion., (4Ever Young, UK).
- 2009 January: Hyacorp body augmentation., (Biopolymer, Germany).
Cosmetic Medicine Presentations & Lectures:-
- 2002: Oral Presentation & Practical Workshop: “Anti-Aging & Facial Cosmetic Tissue Augmentation”, Modelo Clinic Lecture, Seoul, South Korea (28 October).
- 2002: Oral Presentation: “Anti-Aging & Cosmetic Tissue Augmentation”, KAPD Symposium, Seoul, South Korea (29 October).
- 2004: Lecture: “Oral Non-Surgical Facial Aesthetics”, 6 Feb 2004: Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Dermatology: Centre for Cutaneous Research , Barts and The Royal London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary, University of London.
- 2004: Oral Presentation: “Facial Aesthetics & Topical Therapy”, 3 April 2004: Royal College of Physicians, London, UK.
- 2004: Oral Presentation: “Isolagen – Autologous Fibroblast Facial Rejuvenation”, ACCS & ACS Conference, Canberra, Australia, 29 August 2004.
- 2004: Practical Demonstration Workshop: “Isolagen Injection Techniques”, ACCS & ACS Conference, Canberra, Australia, 29 August 2004.
- 2004: Oral Presentation: “Ultrasonic Selective Non-Invasive Lipolysis – A Clinical experience”, 10 & 11 October 2004: 27th Congress of Japan of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, Japan.
- 2004: Oral Presentation: “A New Device for Computerised Non-Invasive Ultrasound Body Contouring” (Ultrashape Device), 22nd October 2004: VII International Symposium on Laser, Intense Pulsed Light and other Dermocosmetic Techniques. Oporto, Portugal.
- 2005: Practical Demonstration Workshop: “Isolagen Injection Techniques”, 6-8 January 2005: International Master Course on Ageing Skin (IMCAS) Paris, France.
- 2005: Oral Presentation: “Non-Invasive Ultrasonic Body Contouring” (Ultrashape Device), 12 February 2005: Bologna, Italy.
- 2005: Oral Presentation & Practical Workshop: “Isolagen Autologous Fibroblasts and Skin Rejuvenation”, March 2005: Red Sea Plastic Surgery Conference, Eilat, Israel.
- 2005: Oral Presentation: “Non-Invasive Ultrasonic Body Contouring” (Ultrashape Device), 7 April 2005: Middle East Anti-Ageing 2005, Dubai, UAE.
- 2005: Oral Presentation: “Body Contouring via Selective Non-Invasive Ultrasonic Lipolysis: The Clinical Path” (Ultrashape Device), 1-5 October 2005: 29th ASAPS Conference, Gold Coast, Australia.
- 2005: Oral Presentation: “Body Contouring via Selective Non-Invasive Ultrasonic Lipolysis: The Clinical Path” (Ultrashape Device), 8-9 October 2005: 28th Congress of Japan of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, Yokohama, Japan.
- 2006: Oral Presentation: “The UltraShape Advantage”, 6-8 January: IMCAS 2006, Paris, France.
- 2006: Oral Presentation: “Aesthera Photo Pneumatic Therapy (PPx) – Clinical Experience”, April 2006: Dubai Derma Conference, Dubai, U.A.E.
- 2006: Oral Presentation: “Body Contouring via Selective Non-Invasive Ultrasonic Lipolysis: The Clinical Path” (Ultrashape Device), 2 April 2006: Dermatology Conference, Warsaw, Poland.
- 2006: Demonstration: Aesthera PPx., May 2006: South African Dermatology Congress, Durban.
- 2006: Oral Presentation: “The Ultimate in Fractional and Combined Laser Therapy” (Pixel Laser and Accent Radio-Frequency Devices), June 2006: FACE Conference, Royal College of Physicians, London.
- 2006: Oral Presentation: “Selective Non-Invasive Focused Ultrasound Lipolysis” (Ultrashape Device), 14 July 2006: Bangalore, India.
- 2006: Oral Presentation: “The Ultimate in Combined Fractional and Radio-Frequency Therapy”, September 2006: BACD Annual Autumn Conference, Barcelona, Spain.
- 2006: Oral Presentation: “Dermal Rejuvenation & Volumetric Therapy via Autologous Cellular Regeneration (ACR)” (Platelet Rich Plasma), 2-3 November 2006: Aesthetic Medicine Conference, Kievitskroon, South Africa.
- 2006: Oral Presentation: “Dermal Rejuvenation & Volumetric Therapy via Autologous Cellular Regeneration (ACR)” (Platelet Rich Plasma), December 2006: 1st Medical Congress on Youth Extension (Dubai, U.A.E.).
- 2007: Poster Presentation: “AUTOLOGOUS CELLULAR REGENERATION (ACR) - A New Skin Rejuvenation Injection Technique Utilizing Platelet-rich Plasma”, 13 January 2007: International Master Course Aesthetic Surgery (IMCAS), Paris France.
- 2007: Anti-Aging Demonstration Workshop: Facial Autologous Cellular Rejuvenation (ACR), 24 March 2007: Anti-Aging Medicine World Congress, Monte-Carlo, Monaco.
- 2007: “My Own Experience with Accent Radio-Frequency”, 5 May 2007: 15th Mediterranean Cosmetic Medical and Surgical Conference, Sitges, Spain.
- 2007: Dermal Rejuvenation and Volumetric Therapy Utilizing Autologous Platelt-rich Plasma (A-PRP)., Anti-Ageing Conference (A4M), RSM, London (September).
- 2008: My Practice in Facial Contouring: Radiesse., Dubai Derma, Dubai, U.A.E. (April).
- 2008: CME Workshop: Use of Fillers in Facial Rejuvenation with emphasis on Total Facial Contouring., Dubai Derma, Dubai, U.A.E. (April).
- 2008: CME Workshop: Accent Volumetric RF Thermotherapy., Dubai Derma, Dubai, U.A.E. (April).
- 2008: Non-invasive Ultrasonic Selective Fat Cell Lysis and Body Contouring: Experience with the Ultrashape Contour I Device., Aesthetic Medicine Conference, Pretoria, South Africa (September).
- 2008: Non-invasive Ultrasonic Selective Fat Cell Lysis and Body Contouring: Experience with the Ultrashape Contour I Device., Athens (October).
- 2009: Autlogous Cell Rejuvenation – Autologous Platelet-rich Plasma., Anti-Aging Society of Thailand, Bangkok (August).
- 2009: MyCells® Autologous Platelet-rich Plasma Live Injection Technique Demonstration., Anti-Aging Society of Thailand, Bangkok (August).
- 2009: MyCells ® Autologous Platelet-rich Plasma., Family Practitioner Conference, Seoul, Korea (November).
- 2009: MyCells® Autologous Platelet-rich Plasma., Indonesian Association for Aesthetic Medicine, Denpasar, Indonesia (November).
- 2010: The ‘Bio-Active’ Facial Volumizer (autologous platelet-rich plasma and cross-linked hyaluronic acid filler combination., Mediterineas XVIII Jornades, Sitges (Spain), May 2010.
- 2010: The ‘Bio-Active’ Facial Volumizer Live Demonstration - Autologous Platelet-rich Plasma combined with Hyacorp cross-linked hyaluronic acid for facial volumetric enhancement., IMCAS ASIA 2010 Hong Kong (July).
- 2010: Using a Specially Designed Cross-Linked Hyaluronic Acid., IWAAAC 2010 Indonesia (July).
- 2010: The ‘Bio-active’ Facial Volumizer (Autologous platelet-rich plasma and cross-linked hyaluronic acid filler combonation)., IWAAAC 2010 Indonesia (July).
- 2010: A New Hyaluronic Acid Filler for Body Augmentation., AMCSA 2010 South Africa (September).
- 2010: New Possibilities of Body Shaping and Face Modelling with Hyacorp., Warzaw (October).
Cosmetic Medicine Publications:-
- 2004: White Paper: “Non-Invasive Ultrasonic Body Contouring – Initial Experience”, Principal Investigator (Ultrashape ultrasonic device) - European Phase II CE Mark safety and efficacy clinical study.
- 2006: Co-author: “Non-invasive Body Contouring by Focused Ultrasound: Safety and Efficacy of the Contour I Device in a Multi-center Controlled Clinical Study”, Teitelbaum, Burns, Kubota, Matsuda, Otto, Shirakabe, Suzuki, and Brown, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery®. 120 (3): 779 – 789, September (2007) – Peer review journal.
- 2007: Co-author: “Current Controversies in the Application of Platelet-Rich Plasma and Growth actors in Maxilla Facial Surgery”, DF Du Toit, MJ Otto, WJ Kleintjies, JA Morkel. South African Journal of Surgery, (2007).
- 2007: Co-author: “State-of-the-Art Rejuvenation and Wound Healing with Platelet-rich Plasma Growth Factors - Molecular Cell Biology and Aesthetic Perspective. Part 1”, DF Du Toit, WJ Kleintjies, MJ Otto, R Graewe, BJ Page. The Specialist Forum. 36 – 41, September (2007).
- 2007: “Soft and hard-tissue augmentation with platelet rich plasma: Tissue culture dynamics, regeneration and molecular biology perspective”, DF Du Toit, WJ Kleintjies, MJ Otto, E Mazyala, BJ Page. International Journal of Shoulder Surgery (IJSS). April 2007 / Volume 1 / Issue 2.
- 2009: White Paper – “Facial Injection of autologous platelet-rich plasma as part of a comprehensive facial rejuvenation treatment", London (February).